A Learning Program for NYC Child Protective Specialists and Supervisors
This learning program focuses on the practical application of strengths-based engagement and Motivational Interviewing skills through an investigative lens. Participants will learn how to improve their ability to engage families and collateral sources, as well as gain proficiency in their investigative skills. Learners will practice techniques to conduct strong, in-depth investigations using critical thinking and engagement skills.
This course is specifically designed for direct service staff and supervisors in child protection.
• Strengthen their motivational interviewing and critical thinking skills when conducting investigations.
• Enhance their engagement skills to develop rapport with families and collateral sources to gather information.
• Develop skills to recognize gaps in information gathered and identify the appropriate source(s) to make accurate assessments.
Prior to attending this course, learners are required to have completed:
• The Motivational Interviewing learning program offered through the ACS Workforce Institute, or an equivalent.
• An online pre-test accessed through the Cornerstone Learning Management System.
Once enrolled in the course, learners will complete:
• An online pre-test before the day of class.
• An interactive, one-day instructor led workshop.
• An online post-test.
Completion of all components is necessary to receive a Certificate of Completion.
The New York City Administration for Children’s Services is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0402. This course is 6.5 contact hours/0.65 CEUs. CEU credit is contingent upon completion of all course components.
“Out of all the trainings I’ve been to, this was the best!”
—Motivational Interviewing Participant