A Learning Program for NYC Child Welfare Professionals
This learning program focuses on the practical application of strengths-based engagement and Motivational Interviewing skills when working with families with repeat involvement in the child welfare system. Participants will learn how to explore the needs of families who have been involved in the child welfare system multiple times. Learners will practice techniques to better engage and work more successfully with these families.
This course is designed for direct service staff and supervisors in child protection, prevention, and foster care.
• Better understand the needs of families with repeat involvement in the child welfare system.
• Strengthen their use of Motivational Interviewing skills when working with families with repeat involvement in the child welfare system.
• Be better able to engage with families with repeat involvement in the child welfare system and ensure they receive the support they need.
Prior to attending this course, learners are required to have completed:
• The Motivational Interviewing learning program offered through the ACS Workforce Institute, or an equivalent.
• An online pre-test accessed through the Cornerstone Learning Management System.
Once enrolled in the course, learners will complete:
• An online pre-test before the day of class.
• An interactive, one-day instructor led workshop.
• An online post-test.
Completion of all components is necessary to receive a Certificate of Completion.
The New York City Administration for Children’s Services is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0402. This course is 6.5 contact hours/0.65 CEUs. CEU credit is contingent upon completion of all course components.
“Out of all the trainings I’ve been to, this was the best!”
—Motivational Interviewing Participant