A Learning Program for NYC Child Welfare Professionals
Motivational Interviewing is a collaborative, person centered approach to strengthen motivation and commitment to change. Strengths-based engagement strategies and motivational interviewing are an important part of effective communication with children and families to support their continued progress toward applying solutions to family challenges. These techniques help professionals express compassion, partnership, and respect—even in challenging situations.
In this course, participants will have the opportunity to practice the spirit, principles, and skills of Motivational Interviewing, and to incorporate strengths-based engagement into their work with children and families.
This course is designed for child welfare direct service staff.
• Direct service staff learn to focus on family strengths and resilience.
• Through effective communication, direct service staff create strengths-based partnerships with children and families.
• Through these partnerships, families and children can work toward establishing and reaching their goals.
Prior to attending this course, learners are required to have completed:
• An online pre-test accessed through the Cornerstone Learning Management System.
• A 30 minute, interactive, online eLearning module.
Once enrolled in the course, learners will complete:
• An online pre-test accessed before the day of class.
• An 30 minute, interactive, online eLearning module.
• An interactive, one-day instructor led workshop.
• An online post-test.
Completion of all components is necessary to receive a Certificate of Completion. A 30 minute eLearning module will be made available as a refresher for learners after course completion.
The New York City Administration for Children’s Services is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0402. This course is 6.5 contact hours/0.65 CEUs. CEU credit is contingent upon completion of all course components.
“Out of all the trainings I’ve been to, this was the best!”
—Motivational Interviewing Participant