A Learning Program for NYC Child Welfare Professionals
This learning program will take a child-centered approach viewing the abusive partner’s behavior as the source of harm. It will provide staff with the knowledge and skills to engage the non-abusive parent and child. Participants will also learn how to identify the abusive partner’s pattern of behavior and document the impact of the abuse on the children and family.
This course is designed for direct service staff and supervisors in child protection, prevention, and foster care.
• Understand how to engage survivors, children, and abusive partners using a strengths-based approach of compassion, partnership, and respect.
• Better assess how an abusive partner is creating risk for the non-abusive partner and the children.
• Learn to write case notes that focus on protective strategies, behaviors that place children at risk, and details that hold the abusive partner accountable.
• Be able to devise effective service plans that focus on the safety of the child and survivor.
Prior to attending this course, learners are required to have completed:
• An online pre-test accessed through the Cornerstone Learning Management System.
• A one-hour, interactive, online eLearning module.
Once enrolled in the course, learners will complete:
• An online pre-test before the day of class.
• A one-hour, interactive, eLearning online module.
• An interactive, two-day instructor led workshop.
• An online post-test.
Completion of all components is necessary to receive a Certificate of Completion.
While not a prerequisite, it is recommended that learners take the Motivational Interviewing learning program offered through the ACS Workforce Institute, or an equivalent.
The New York City Administration for Children’s Services is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0402. This course is 14 contact hours/1.4 CEUs. CEU credit is contingent upon completion of all course components.